Product Research and Testing
Because we are dedicated to continually improving our products and services, we spend much of our time testing both our proprietary products and our suppliers’ products to determine their efficacy, used alone and in combination with one another.
Here is a sampling of the testing and research we perform.
For Improving Coastal Products
- Test and evaluate new Coastal proprietary products to ensure product efficacy and crop tolerance.
- Evaluate proprietary spray adjuvants with basic manufacturers’ products to ensure effectiveness.
- Develop new and improved adjuvant systems to ensure the proper distribution and deposition of the agricultural product on target and minimize off-target movement.
For Improving Coastal’s Crop Programs and Production Strategies
- Evaluate new herbicides for the control of glyphosate-tolerant weeds such as Palmer’s amaranth, marestail and Italian ryegrass with a continued focus on controlling other annual and perennial weeds.
- Demonstrate the value of fungicides applied to traditional row crops for increased crop yields and improved plant health.
- Evaluate the proper timing of fungicides, herbicides, insecticides and plant growth regulators (PGRs) in corn, cotton, soybean and wheat.
- Test new insecticidal pre-mixtures along with existing insecticides to control troublesome insects like pyrethroid-resistant corn earworm and tobacco budworm. Test solo and pre-mixture insecticides for control of kudzu bugs and stinkbugs in all crops.
- Evaluate in furrow application of PGRs and fertilizers to improve seed germination, promote a quick start and keep plant roots healthy.
- Develop spray programs for row crops and vegetables for control of diseases like Asian soybean rust, target spot in cotton and cucurbit downy mildew.
- Test and improve the effectiveness of foliar fertilization in all crops.
For Improving Coastal’s Seed Offerings and Seed Treatments
- Conduct Coastal corn and soybean variety trials to evaluate hybrids to determine if they are suited for our service area and produce optimum yields. Variety trials are conducted in several locations across the state and are run similarly to the university Official Variety Trials (OVTs).
- Test seed treatments to improve disease and insect control so crops can get a fast head start.